Friday, September 30, 2011

A momentary lapse of confidence






       Had a great time last night at the opening of the '88 Strong' show in Portland. Was happy to see a select few friends come out to support the work on the walls. I have to say that I enjoyed the work I did for the show, but so wanted to see a piece sold before the night was out. As we consumed a few pints of beer, blank spots started to show themselves on the wall. Somehow in the back of my mind as pieces were being bagged and taken home, I had this disheartening premonition that when the show finally came down off the walls, I'd show up and be the only one with anything to pick up (please let that not be so...) 

        The conversation was casually business oriented and real enough to remind me of all the things I need to make happen in the immediate future if I want to really sustain myself as an illustrator. It would seem that a media/advertising blitz is in order. Along with working on submissions for publications and possibly artist representatives, I need to trim the fat off the old portfolio and find a consistent look and direction to make my work marketable as well as enjoyable to create. Spent the day today creating some pages for The Brass Knuckle Rituals and seem to finally be getting some momentum needed to finish out the books I want to unveil at next years Emerald City. So that was encouraging...while the uncertainty of the future looms ever present in my mind, the current project can sometimes show a little light in an otherwise seemingly endless tunnel of tasks. One step at a time, one step at a time.


Daniel DePaolo

No comments:

Post a Comment